You need to use EasyEDA editor to create some projects before publishing
How to go about designing a single-sided board that combines SMD and through-hole?
3299 6
thegoodhen 8 years ago
Hello. I can't tell you how many times this has bit me in the flank. Well, in fact, I sorta keep a track, and I think it must've happened around 14 times through my projects and different revisions of them: I just really like to make a PCB, which is single sided, but with both SMD and through hole components on it. However, when I use EasyEda for this, I end up with either SMDs or Through hole parts mounted mirrored. I just use one layer, because I want my final PCB to be one layer... I then do a photo transfer and do it this way. I literally ALWAYS forget that the components get flipped and there is no indication of it anywhere... Maybe I should file a bug report or something. So I basically end up soldering that 32 pin SMD package and once I go test it, I realise it's upside down. So what I usually do in such a case is that I go desolder it and flip it over on its tummy and resolder. It goes without saying that this is absolutely infuriating and heartbreaking. (But I know you guys do this for free, so I can't be too mad. :D) But I would still appreciate some advice.
Comments
thegoodhen 8 years ago
Oh. I feel bit silly, admittedly. How do I delete a post? :D I've been looking at it wrong the whole time. I've been thinking like "It's a single layer/sided PCB, so it has one side... so everything must be on one side!" And well so I was only using the top layer. And then I always ended up having to surface mount the through hole parts and stuff like that. But now I get it. The SMDs are on one side, the through hole are on the other, and I connect it on the bottom side of the board with the nice red tracks. ONE MORE THING THO: It still shows the lines suggesting I should connect stuff even once I actually connect it, using the "multilayer" trace. But this might be a feature, not a bug. It's just something I discovered when messing around with the thing. Well, I am glad I figured it out. I can't believe I actually got it wrong so many times before it struck me. Well, thanks and keep up the great work. Sorry for assuming this was your fault, but I couldn't believe I made a mistake 14 times in a row. Oh well. -thegoodhen E8<|>3
andyfierman 8 years ago
Hi, I can understand your frustration but I am not sure I understand how best to help. Let me ask you some questions to try to get a better idea... :) Can you clarify what you think the source of the problem is? Is it a problem with your ability to visualise your single sided PCB in EasyEDA? Is it a problem with your ability to visualise your single sided PCB at the stages after you have created the design in EasyEDA and as you actually print and etch your own boards? Would it help if you put some text ***in copper*** onto your copper layer, so that the text is readable when you are looking at the bottom of the PCB? (Where the `bottom` is the side on which your SMD parts are placed and the opposite side from which your through hole parts are placed). The text could be something that reminds you which way up the copper layer is to be placed. Something as simple as ***This side up!***. Because it's on the copper layer it will be visible on your prints and on any etch resist that you end up with on the pre-eteched PCB so you have a constant visual check on the correct orientation of the final copper layer. And in EasyEDA it is easy to put text or some sort of ident in a copper layer because all you do is use the same PCB tools you would use to draw tracks in copper and to put text and graphics on the silk screen or Documentation layers except that you put it all on the copper layer just by selecting the bottom layer copper... ![enter image description here][1] Easy or what? Does that help? [1]: /editor/20151230/5683063e25762.png
thegoodhen 8 years ago
Hey there! I just updated the topic. It's alright. I just had this idea that since I have "single sided PCB" I should put all parts on one side. I was basically misinterpreting everything. But it's all fine now. I totally get everything now. :D Thank you!
andyfierman 8 years ago
Glad you are sorted! A couple of things that might help in the future: The red copper layer is the default `top` side of the PCB. That's the side on which through hole components are normally mounted. The blue copper layer is the default `bottom` layer. The PCB view in EasyEDA is looking down on the `top` side of the PCB and through it to the `bottom` layer. :)
andyfierman 8 years ago
One more thought: Since the cost of a 2 layer PCB is much the same as for a single sided PCB and the second copper layer makes it easier to route a PCB, I'm guessing that you don't make your PCBs 2 layer because you are etching them by hand so lining up 2 layers is hard to do. Have you considered using EasyEDA's PCB supply service to supply ready etched PCBs? :)
thegoodhen 8 years ago
@andyfierman Hello! I am counting with you guys for my future projects that I wanna sell and thus will need large quantities of PCBs. However, this was a one-off project. For those, it's much cheaper and much much faster to make my own PCB-I can have the prototype done in under 3 hours...
Login or Register to add a comment
goToTop
你现在访问的是EasyEDA海外版,使用建立访问速度更快的国内版 https://lceda.cn(需要重新注册)
如果需要转移工程请在个人中心 - 工程 - 工程高级设置 - 下载工程,下载后在https://lceda.cn/editor 打开保存即可。
有问题联系QQ 3001956291 不再提醒
svg-battery svg-battery-wifi svg-books svg-more svg-paste svg-pencil svg-plant svg-ruler svg-share svg-user svg-logo-cn svg-double-arrow -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus-@1x -mockplus-

Cookie Notice

Our website uses essential cookies to help us ensure that it is working as expected, and uses optional analytics cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. To find out more, read our Cookie Notice