You need to use EasyEDA editor to create some projects before publishing
Are user-contributed libraries copyright-free?
373 2
stopper 277 1 year ago
Hello, I'm making a mechanical keyboard with some user-contributed libraries that I intend to use for commercial use. Am I free to use those libraries in my project, or do they have some restrictions that I'm not aware of? Thanks in advance, AltShiftK
Comments
andyfierman 1 year ago
The following are my personal thoughts on this: @UserSupport may have a different view. Whilst public Projects can have licensing selectively applied to them via a dedicated drop down menu, there is no mechanism to do the same thing for Symbols, Footprints and Schematic or PCB Modules. There are no explicit rules in EasyEDA about licensing and reuse of User Contributed Symbols, Footprints and Schematic or PCB Modules and they are assumed by default to be in the Public Domain. It is however, possible for users to add an attribute to a Symbol or a Footprint that is then used to define the public license for that particular Symbol of Footprint. For Schematic or PCB Modules it is possible to add text elements to define the public license for that particular module. It should be noted that: * if the original creator and contributor of such content does not add such license information then, whilst it may be considered unethical, there is nothing to stop a later user who may copy the content from adding their own;  * at the time of writing this post (20220616) there is no procedure in place in EasyEDA to police or enforce the observance of public licensing. Therefore, even if the original creator and contributor of such content does add such license information then, whilst it may be considered unethical, there is nothing to stop a later user who may copy the content from removing or changing it; * the structure of the libraries in EasyEDA does not make it easy to establish who may have been original creator and contributor of such content; * the structure of the libraries in EasyEDA does not make it easy to establish if particular content is the original or a later copy. If licensing of such content is a consideration then it should probably be considered due diligence for: 1. the original creator and contributor of such content to add such license information if they so wish; 2. the user of such content - including anyone wishing to make a copy of the original content - to check for and respect any license information that the original creator and contributor of the selected content may have added;  3. the user of such content to check that, if the selected content is a copy then it does not conflict with any license information that the creator and contributor of the original content upon which the selected copy is based, may have added;. <br> <br>
altshiftbuisness 1 year ago
Okay, makes sense. Thank you!
Login or Register to add a comment
goToTop
你现在访问的是EasyEDA海外版,使用建立访问速度更快的国内版 https://lceda.cn(需要重新注册)
如果需要转移工程请在个人中心 - 工程 - 工程高级设置 - 下载工程,下载后在https://lceda.cn/editor 打开保存即可。
有问题联系QQ 3001956291 不再提醒
svg-battery svg-battery-wifi svg-books svg-more svg-paste svg-pencil svg-plant svg-ruler svg-share svg-user svg-logo-cn svg-double-arrow -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus-@1x -mockplus-

Cookie Notice

Our website uses essential cookies to help us ensure that it is working as expected, and uses optional analytics cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. To find out more, read our Cookie Notice