You need to use EasyEDA editor to create some projects before publishing
"Argument Error" message when trying to save PCB footprint
1007 27
mnewport 3 years ago
Hello I'm trying to create and save a PCB footprint for my layout.  Unfortunately I keep getting a popup modal that says "argument error" when I try to save the footprint.  The name of the footprint changes, but the footprint itself doesn't show up anywhere in my workspace library (or anywhere else).  What am I missing?
Comments
andyfierman 3 years ago
Posting a screenshot or a link to it in the library or a link to an upload of the json file might help.
andyfierman 3 years ago
Check that you have not used any illegal (non-alphanumeric) characters in it.
cj_tolaba 3 years ago
Hello:I'm trying to create and save a PCB footprint for my layout.  But  "argument error" when I try to save the footprint.  .  What am I missing?
andyfierman 3 years ago
@cj_tolaba Please read and act upon the comments above.
mnewport 3 years ago
I managed a workaround, although I don't know exactly what I did.  I'm moving between this and Altium (using Altium for 15 years), the library editing is somewhat confusing to me here on Easy EDA.  Also the pours are weird.  How do you create non-rectangular shapes?
andyfierman 3 years ago
@mnewport, Set a suitable grid snap size; Then draw your Copper Area by clicking and dragging to the rough shape; Select the shape; Click and drag on a green vertex to move it; Double click on a green vertex to delete it; Click and drag a blue vertex to add a new vertex: ![making_shapes.gif](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/MPOkFADSGxlFGyPVUmGxglPgcYgjyiDr6Cj2eiSK.gif) You can also select the copper area and Edit Points: ![image.png](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/oEgn0aLqL5KjuKwt3KmDKxGlSo98IhXzeZNoh0kR.png)
mnewport 3 years ago
Thank you for the reply, that helps a lot. The last item I'm running into...my vias won't connect to my internal planes, even though they are connected to the layer's nets.  I've got two internal power planes but neither will connect.  Any thoughts?
andyfierman 3 years ago
This has come up several times and this is my workaround and Bug Report about it: [https://easyeda.com/forum/topic/Please-make-adding-vias-and-changing-layers-consistent-for-2-and-for-multilayer-PCBs-with-inner-plane-layers-3af6f11276be48b489a95753e95a64c1](https://easyeda.com/forum/topic/Please-make-adding-vias-and-changing-layers-consistent-for-2-and-for-multilayer-PCBs-with-inner-plane-layers-3af6f11276be48b489a95753e95a64c1)
andyfierman 3 years ago
See also: [https://easyeda.com/forum/topic/Inner-layer-plane-connect-to-Top-bottom-layer-tracks-df4ebd41e1114705b795f3da06f627d1](https://easyeda.com/forum/topic/Inner-layer-plane-connect-to-Top-bottom-layer-tracks-df4ebd41e1114705b795f3da06f627d1)
mnewport 3 years ago
Wow, thank you.  That is an incredibly complicated way to create a layer connection, lol.  I appreciate the response.
andyfierman 3 years ago
@mnewport, If you start the track from the pad and then do the via, the track and the via inherit the net name from the pad so it's not as complicated as it seems. It's just different form the procedure used when there are no plane layers.
mnewport 3 years ago
OK, fair enough.  I appreciate the help. One last question--how do you measure distances?
andyfierman 3 years ago
The PCB Editor reads out track lengths; ![image.png](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/vU0HgEB8aNIlghUobG37bLLjRHN4ZlO6RIduwcd1.png) You can measure a stratight line distance directly in the canvas: ![image.png](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/iyjCp7xjL36Ji63hIcTzLJInDxVPzXM6OUOcNrPf.png) You can draw dimensioned lines for straight line distances; ![image.png](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/goqGSnMGX990mWjjztXyFe5wvFrfycrd6LuTjYnc.png) ![image.png](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/1BkGe7FACAyiJ7VeY6HqIRmQsV3N0FfSaTcqRCiI.png)
mnewport 3 years ago
Thank you!  :)
mnewport 3 years ago
Circling back around to the via and net issue this morning...I put it on the back burner while I was finishing other design related items. I'm not seeing any success. Let me make sure I understand the process correctly. I need to draw a trace from the pad that is connected to the net (In this case, I'm drawing from a copper pour connected to the net). Then I double click to end the trace. Then I use the V key to add a via. Is that a correct process?  In my case, it doesn't transfer the net to the via (I have to add it manually, just like before), and it still tells me the net is not connected.  What am I doing wrong?
mnewport 3 years ago
Also, the "add remove vias" function doesn't seem to actually add or remove any vias.
andyfierman 3 years ago
@mnewport, ![deepin-screen-recorder_Select area_20201126182627.gif](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/yoZIfaUf2Mu4dh52uDJTVYQukVYzx4DxmUhL3RUN.gif)
mnewport 3 years ago
Hmm.  I seem to be missing something.  I add the trace and the via just like your video shows.  But the blue lines showing the net connections don't disappear, they just move to the via.  I'm trying to do copper pours with multiple via connections inside the pour.  Could this be the problem? ![Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 12.49.43 PM.png](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/KImanh1nCT1tJ7X4ZMRaEuPxUx6HvzUAgm7zKeBJ.png)
mnewport 3 years ago
OK, I think I got one of the planes connected.  I drew the pour, then switched to the plane, then added the via from there.  It seems to have worked for one plane, but not the other.  AND, when I run the design rule check, the platform still shows the pad as being unconnected from the net, even though the blue net lines have disappeared. ![Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 3.38.45 PM.png](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/8sgc7qY3KhpZ5dcv7osYJ70CqrXeYK5is5nOomy6.png)
andyfierman 3 years ago
@mnewport, Can you make all or a representative part of your project public? Or temporarily add me to your team?
mnewport 3 years ago
I can add you to my team.  I sent you the invitation.  Did you receive it? I greatly appreciate the help.  If we can't solve it, I'll just switch to a 2 layer board.
andyfierman 3 years ago
Got it thanks. I;m wondering if the EasyEDA doean't like the **+** in the **+22** netname. What happens if you rename the +22 net to P22 and then rebuild the copper areas?
mnewport 3 years ago
I changed the net to P22 and rebuilt all the pours, vias, and traces.  It doesn't change the issue unfortunately.
andyfierman 3 years ago
Very puzzled by this. What if you swap over the two inner layers. Do the ratlines swap to the -22 layer?
mnewport 3 years ago
I'm puzzled too, but unfortunately I don't have time to sort through this.  I've got a deadline to meet today.  I had to switch the board to 2 layer and route bus traces on the top and bottom layers. I appreciate the help!  It's a great platform but that's a really strange bug to have to deal with.
andyfierman 3 years ago
Sorry I could't help you get to the bottom of this before your deadline. Can you raise a Bug Report about this? I think it needs to be a new topic rather than just a category change for this one because this topic covers more than the vias-to-plane-issue.
mnewport 3 years ago
I can definitely create a bug report.
Login or Register to add a comment
goToTop
你现在访问的是EasyEDA海外版,使用建立访问速度更快的国内版 https://lceda.cn(需要重新注册)
如果需要转移工程请在个人中心 - 工程 - 工程高级设置 - 下载工程,下载后在https://lceda.cn/editor 打开保存即可。
有问题联系QQ 3001956291 不再提醒
svg-battery svg-battery-wifi svg-books svg-more svg-paste svg-pencil svg-plant svg-ruler svg-share svg-user svg-logo-cn svg-double-arrow -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus-@1x -mockplus-

Cookie Notice

Our website uses essential cookies to help us ensure that it is working as expected, and uses optional analytics cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. To find out more, read our Cookie Notice