You need to use EasyEDA editor to create some projects before publishing
Calculating Max Current of Board
737 3
Corey Barnes 4 years ago
Hello, I am pretty new to laying out PCB's. I am laying out a board that will be populated by a NodeMCU some logic level switchers, and some screw terminals but it would be nice if I could have power on-board too. Would it be in bad practice to have a 2 layer board (2oz copper) with one layer as a GND plane and the other layer as a 5v plane? IF this is acceptable, how could I calculate the max current of the board? I'd like it to be able to handle 60a @ 5v. The copper pour areas are 58.4mm x 54.6mm with data traces running through them. I'm not opposed to making the board larger to accommodate, but I don't know how to figure it for a whole plane, only trace width. This would obviously rule out any via stitching. The end goal is to convert the 3.3v logic to 5v logic for some "Neopixel" strips, the reason I can't just use the 3.3v is because it will be going through a run of 18g wire and the voltage drop is too great. I would also like to be able to power them from the same terminals (power will have to be injected along the way for some of the runs, but that's a whole separate ordeal).
Comments
andyfierman 4 years ago
You can find information about the current carrying capacity of copper in trace and more generally in sheet resistance form online. If your planes are cut up by traces then you have to approximate the remaining copper as segments of trace. Not a trivial task. Datasheets for digital devices usually have a section on calculating current drain vs. clock or data rate and loads. Do you really mean 60 Amps?
andyfierman 4 years ago
Your project is private. It's hard for anyone to comment if they can't see your project.
Corey Barnes 4 years ago
It won't let me make it public, it tells me that I haven't been using EasyEDA long enough. Yes, 60a is the maximum I would like to be able to pull through it. There are 8 channels and I would like to be able to pull 7.5a from each. ![newNodeMCU.jpg](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/asvaxYWXr5x2AUj60s3JC4RpU24t3sZiRvCzMU7n.jpeg)
Login or Register to add a comment
goToTop
你现在访问的是EasyEDA海外版,建议访问速度更快的国内版 https://lceda.cn(需要重新注册)
如果需要转移工程请在个人中心 - 工程 - 工程高级设置 - 下载工程,下载后在https://lceda.cn/editor 打开保存即可。
有问题联系QQ 3001956291 不再提醒
svg-battery svg-battery-wifi svg-books svg-more svg-paste svg-pencil svg-plant svg-ruler svg-share svg-user svg-logo-cn svg-double-arrow -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus-@1x -mockplus-

Cookie Notice

Our website uses essential cookies to help us ensure that it is working as expected, and uses optional analytics cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. To find out more, read our Cookie Notice