You need to use EasyEDA editor to create some projects before publishing
Creating/editing footprint titles is inconsistent and confusing
776 2
lynxlabeling 6 years ago
**Feature Request** Brief title for your desired feature: Fix the creation and editing of footprint titles to be consistent and unconfusing. How would you like the feature to work? Currently, there are two ways to edit a custom copy of a footprint: select 'Clone' from the parts manager or edit the footprint from the parts manager and then save. In both cases, a new name is chosen. In the clone case, only the title is asked for and can include lower case letters. In the save case, both the title and a description are asked for, and only uppercase letters are allowed in the title. Once saved, there are two fields for the footprint - one for the title and the other called "footprint". I am not sure if the footprint field is assigned in the Clone case, but it is in the Save case. Here's how it should work: 1) Mixed case should be allowed for the titles 2) The dialog should be the same for both Clone and Save cases 3) There is no way to edit the footprint name once created. It doesn't seem that this name is used anywhere since I don't think it isn't created consistently. 4) In both cases, add the tags field. It is an inconvenience to edit the footprint in the parts manager a second time in order to assign the tags. Why is this feature important to you? Creating custom versions of footprints as currently implemented is cumbersome and confusing. I believe you are rewriting some of this facility in the next major version. Please carefully review this area for consistency and usability. What you have is a great feature, but needs a little clean-up.
Comments
Tutorials 6 years ago
Hi thank you for your report. Yes, we are improving this now, and it will upgrade to the major version, will need some time. 1)we won't provide the mixed case for the titles in the future because the mixed case is difficult for data processing. so at few previous version, we decide the PCB lib title only support upper case. 2)clone is the difference with the save/save as. they shouldn't be same. 3)when you save or clone the footprint, you can find it at your person libraries, and click it , click the edit button, or right click on it, you can change its tags,title,descripton. https://easyeda.com/Doc/Tutorial/PCBLib.htm#Edit-PCBLibs thanks
lynxlabeling 6 years ago
My response: 1) But you do allow mixed cases. When using the Save scenario, only upper case is allow. When using the Clone scenario, mixed case is allowed. It is not consistent. 2) But they both do the same thing. They both copy the current footprint into the personal library. Therefore, they should have the same dialog. 3) When you look at a footprint in the parts dialog, under the table, it has a title column and a package column. You can't edit the package name. This last point is where the greatest inconsistency lies. When you edit a footprint and then do Save/SaveAs, the name you give it is in all caps. This name is used for both the title and package. When using Clone, you give it a new title, but the package name is taken from the one you are cloning. The title can be mixed case, but not the package name. While you have the option to use mixed case when cloning, you can't when saving. Furthermore, you don't have the choice of a package name when cloning, but do when saving. You can't change the package name after the footprint is created. I realize this feature is complicated, thus the need to think everything through. It has taken me quite a while just to understand it enough to describe the problems. To summarize them: 1) The package name cannot be set during Cloning, but can when Saving. This is inconsistent and very confusing. It also cannot be changed, but I realize that may be an internal requirement since it must be upper case. 2) The package name does not appear to be used anywhere unless it is used for searching, in which case one ought to be able to change it. Because of these traits, the package name's presence is very confusing since it seems to serve no purpose. 3) The title and package name need to be separate fields in both the Clone and Save dialogs if the package name is needed for some reason. 4) The term 'package' itself is confusing. It seems to be a synonym for 'footprint'. Why is it separate from the footprint title? Again, there should be a compelling reason for keeping it, and it should be clear what its purpose is. 5) Again, the Clone and Save dialog should be the same. All fields should be present - title, package (if necessary), description and tags. Please pass on this discussion to the developers for consideration. Thanks.
Login or Register to add a comment
goToTop
你现在访问的是EasyEDA海外版,使用建立访问速度更快的国内版 https://lceda.cn(需要重新注册)
如果需要转移工程请在个人中心 - 工程 - 工程高级设置 - 下载工程,下载后在https://lceda.cn/editor 打开保存即可。
有问题联系QQ 3001956291 不再提醒
svg-battery svg-battery-wifi svg-books svg-more svg-paste svg-pencil svg-plant svg-ruler svg-share svg-user svg-logo-cn svg-double-arrow -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus-@1x -mockplus-

Cookie Notice

Our website uses essential cookies to help us ensure that it is working as expected, and uses optional analytics cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. To find out more, read our Cookie Notice