You need to use EasyEDA editor to create some projects before publishing
Difference between pad, via, and hole
11796 12
sinelari 8 years ago
I am including a picture of a PC Board with an LED mounted into it. It is not possible to solder an LED onto the surface it is mounted. It is only possible to solder an LED from the lower surface. The graphic depicts an LED with copper lands. Is there any connection between a pad from the top to the bottom using "All levels"? If so, please tell me how it is accomplished. Is it lined with copper? Does it use an inset sleeve? Does it use brads? In the past, i have worked with multiple level boards of all types. Some use wires from the bottom with no copper on top and connect over the top of the board using wire. Others use a pit-brad that is pressed into the PCB after it is drilled. But also there are boards that require both sides to be soldered and use the lead on the part-package to provide electrical connection. I intend to order my PCB from you at EasyEDA. Tell me, please, how you accomplish the electrical connection with pads, vias, and holes. Are they all the same or are they different? Thank you. ![LED BOARD MOUNT 2 sided board][1] [1]: /editor/20160426/571f1bef6bf12.png
Comments
andyfierman 8 years ago
**Pads** can be set to be on `Top`, `Bottom` or `All` layers: ![enter image description here][1] * When Pads are set to `All` then they are plated through holes (a.k.a. PTH) so they have a layer of copper connecting them together - and to any inner layers on PCBs with more than 2 layers - through the PCB. **Vias** by definition are on all layers. **Solid Regions** can be selected to be Non-Plated Through Holes (a.k.a. NPTH): ![enter image description here][2] **Holes** are unplated: ![enter image description here][3] [1]: /editor/20160426/571f251fef5b1.png [2]: /editor/20160426/571f23866f199.png [3]: /editor/20160426/571f242b907ca.png
sinelari 8 years ago
And . . . what is the plating process? Is it a brad? How is copper "injected" into the hole after the phenolic substrate is drilled?
dillon 8 years ago
At present, you need to add lots of Pads to simulation a plating Hole. such as, this will be plate slot . ![enter image description here][1] [1]: /editor/20160426/571f39e8c4b31.png
sinelari 8 years ago
@dillon I am not asking about the software. I am asking about the physical production in the factory for the PCB. Do they insert a sleeve? A sleeve is a small tube of copper. Do they insert a brad? A brad is a tube of copper with lands ( pads ) already on one end. The machine inserts the tube, then smashes the other side to make the opposite land. Do they insert a wire? A wire is set into the hole after drilling. The wire is shaped like a staple after it is inserted. Both ends are then electro-soldered to the lands. Which type is EasyEDA using to fabricate the PCB? or is there another type they use? Or is this a Multiwire board? ( very old style ) where the board is "printed" using wire, liquid phenolic, and laminate solution layer by layer? I have seen Television sets that use multi-level PCB and the lands get old and break from the solder. I just want to be sure that if i can only solder on one side of the land, that the other side will also be electrically connected permanently without any solder applied to the top.
andyfierman 8 years ago
@Sinelari, All the technologies your are describing are, to say the least, somewhat obsolete. Modern multilayer (from 2 layers up to around 32, maybe even more) PCB fabrication is - especially from EasyEDA - fast, reliable and very, very low cost. These should tell you everything you need to know about modern PCB manufacture: http://www.edn.com/design/pc-board/4424239/1/PCB-design-basics http://michaelhleonard.com/how-to-design-the-perfect-pcb-part1/ http://www.4pcb.com/media/presentation-how-to-build-pcb.pdf http://www.eurocircuits.com/making-a-pcb-pcb-manufacture-step-by-step :)
sinelari 8 years ago
@andyfierman: Thank you, Andy. It has been about 20 years since i made a PC board or worked in the field. So it just makes sense that things have changed. I appreciate the information. :D
andyfierman 8 years ago
@Sinelari, I was getting the idea that you might have been away from electronics for a little while... :)
sinelari 8 years ago
Very interesting. So i have another question then. After i complete my basic design, i can copy it 3 times for a total of 4 circular but independent circuits. Could all four be completed on a single board? Like this? ![Four circuit boards in one fabrication process][1] [1]: /editor/20160426/571f69f940aff.png
andyfierman 8 years ago
The way to do this is to go through the whole PCB design to completion, including downloading and checking the Gerbers so that you are sure the design is correct. Then for safety, clone the PCB into a new PCB project. Then copy and paste the whole PCB design to create the multiple copies. The design manager may get upset because you have multiple copies of nets all with the same names but which are not connected by copper but I think you can generate the fab output OK and so generate Gerbers for the complete PCB. In practice you may not even need to think about this since the PCB fab house will deal with fitting however many PCBs you ask for into a panel to make best use of the area. If you really want your PCBs to be on a panel (maybe to simplify assembly) then you have the option to ask for your PCBs to be panellised (see the order page): ![enter image description here][1] [1]: /editor/20160426/571f6f7416435.png
sinelari 8 years ago
I see. The reason why is simple. This is a part for a motorcycle turn signal lamp. There are four turn signals on every motorcycle. So after the design is finished, i will always be ordering in multiples of four. First prototype will be tested here for fitting into the housing. After that fitting and testing is completed, orders from my customers will be in units of ONE to me, and each order will have FOUR signal lamps per order. When mounting the parts and soldering them here, i can do all four of the order at the same time before the PCB is separated into four pieces. After testing the assembly and soldering, the board being detached from itself will be the final step before shipping. This way orders from my customers can be tracked physically without error. Make sense?
andyfierman 8 years ago
Best thing is to email support directly to ask about this.
sinelari 8 years ago
@andyfierman Okay, Andy. Thank you so much. :)
Login or Register to add a comment
goToTop
你现在访问的是EasyEDA海外版,使用建立访问速度更快的国内版 https://lceda.cn(需要重新注册)
如果需要转移工程请在个人中心 - 工程 - 工程高级设置 - 下载工程,下载后在https://lceda.cn/editor 打开保存即可。
有问题联系QQ 3001956291 不再提醒
svg-battery svg-battery-wifi svg-books svg-more svg-paste svg-pencil svg-plant svg-ruler svg-share svg-user svg-logo-cn svg-double-arrow -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus-@1x -mockplus-

Cookie Notice

Our website uses essential cookies to help us ensure that it is working as expected, and uses optional analytics cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. To find out more, read our Cookie Notice