You need to use EasyEDA editor to create some projects before publishing
Footprint within another footprint ?? 7-segment filament display
571 8
billbrach 2 years ago
(I put this in the PCB forum as I don't know where a question about footprints should be) Hello, I am trying to design a generic 7-segment display, using filament LED's, so that the final product has a retro look. A single filament LED, has two pads, and an outline, and some text indicating LED polarity.  I want these to be movable and rotatable as a single element. Is it possible to group all of these elements into a single footprint, as described above, that can then be added 7 times to a new footprint, to construct the overall 7-segment display ?? Thanks, Bill This is what i have so far, and every element of every segment has to be dealt with separately.  I can select a group of elements and move them, but it would be way better to click a segment, and move or rotate it with the mouse. ![my-7-seg-filament-LED-display.png](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/ucpSK7vvoDB9CZ3GVEWFPyhzGNtRYCDjhdjGN4u9.png)
Comments
andyfierman 2 years ago
I don't think you can put one Footprint inside another. A couple of suggestions: Have you tried using the Group/Ungroup tool to create on segment and then copying and placing it?  Create one segment as a Footprint  then place that into a PCB 7 times then save that as a PCB module.
billbrach 2 years ago
Andy, thanks.  I'll try that later.
andyfierman 2 years ago
@billbrach, You can create a Footprint and then from the Footprint Editor, copy it into another Footprint in another Footprint Editor tab but you cannot select a Footprint from the library and then **Place** it into a new Footprint Editor tab.
billbrach 2 years ago
OK, thanks, I'll look into that.  Apparently Group/Ungroup you suggested ealier only works for a Schematic.
billbrach 2 years ago
Andy\, in thinking about this overnight\, I \*think\* what you suggested is how I created the footprint I posted the picture of in my initial post\.  The whole trick here is that each segment has to be it's own entity\, and not made of seperate pads\, outline\, and text\.  Each of those segments has to be movable/placeable as a entity\.
andyfierman 2 years ago
"Create one segment as a Footprint  then place that into a PCB 7 times then save that as a PCB module." That meets your requirements of "...each segment has to be it's own entity, and not made of seperate pads, outline, and text.  Each of those segments has to be movable/placeable as a entity." If you need each segment to have unique pad numbers then you can either create 7 individual footprints, one for each segment or (haven't tried this) you may be able to edit the pad numbers on a per instance basis using the "i" hotkey or the Footprint manager. You may however encounter a problem if you are trying to call each separate segment PCB Footprint from one single 7 segment Schematic Symbol: [https://easyeda.com/forum/topic/Annotate-symbol-to-show-that-the-footprint-requires-placement-of-more-than-one-physical-component-deae7486f93d46028e05313e7874e4c3](https://easyeda.com/forum/topic/Annotate-symbol-to-show-that-the-footprint-requires-placement-of-more-than-one-physical-component-deae7486f93d46028e05313e7874e4c3)
billbrach 2 years ago
Thanks, I could easily create 7 seperate footprints, as 7-seg displays have a standard naming nomeclature on each segment.  Again, thanks.
andyfierman 2 years ago
Or start by creating the Footprint for a single segment then copy and paste it 6 times in the same Footprint and edit the pad numbers to create a complete 7 segment display Footprint?
Login or Register to add a comment
goToTop
你现在访问的是EasyEDA海外版,使用建立访问速度更快的国内版 https://lceda.cn(需要重新注册)
如果需要转移工程请在个人中心 - 工程 - 工程高级设置 - 下载工程,下载后在https://lceda.cn/editor 打开保存即可。
有问题联系QQ 3001956291 不再提醒
svg-battery svg-battery-wifi svg-books svg-more svg-paste svg-pencil svg-plant svg-ruler svg-share svg-user svg-logo-cn svg-double-arrow -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus-@1x -mockplus-

Cookie Notice

Our website uses essential cookies to help us ensure that it is working as expected, and uses optional analytics cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. To find out more, read our Cookie Notice