You need to use EasyEDA editor to create some projects before publishing
Ground planes and correct vias
1363 3
Markl 6 years ago
Hi, First the link:[The pcb I have questions about](https://easyeda.com/editor#id=|ea58dc7185de4f509c2456fe81d6dec2) In high frequency circuits (ddr memory...), it is even more important to think about the current return path. In the above link, I decided to create two power planes and two ground planes. Even if one large ground plane would be better, since there is no relation between IC1 and IC2, I think there is no way the current makes big loop and wreck my circuit performance. So a bigger ground plane would only help EMI and heat (which are very important). Am I right? Are my via to PWR and GND correctly put? Thanks a lot,
Comments
Markl 6 years ago
(obviously this pcb not realistic, it is just to help my question)
andyfierman 6 years ago
"So a bigger ground plane would only help EMI and heat (which are very important)." So what is your reason to **not** make it all one ground plane? An abstract diagram like this does not show what may be happening in some other areas of the circuit. In circuits with fast edge transitions (it is edge speed, not pulse repetition frequency that really matters in Signal Integrity) the return current during the transitions follows the lowest impedance path back to the source which is essentially directly under the signal trace that the transition is travelling along from the source to the destination. Are you really sure that there are no signals with fast edges somewhere else that have to cross from one of your ground plane regions to get to back to their source? Bear in mind that the return current does not all flow directly under the trace, depending on the edge speeds involved, it is distributed over several trace widths either side. Therefore, the smaller you make a plane area the higher the impedance it represents and so the more likely it is that some of that ground return path current will still exist (i.e. will be non-zero) at the edges of the ground plane and so can cause crosstalk and radiated emissions. In my experience, there is never a good reason for breaking up a ground plane into smaller areas. There has to be a very particular reason for doing that and in most cases the "reason" breaks down when you look closely at where the return currents really are and where the traces have to be routed to make it work. :)
Markl 6 years ago
Thanks Andy, I will correct that ASAP!
Login or Register to add a comment
goToTop
你现在访问的是EasyEDA海外版,使用建立访问速度更快的国内版 https://lceda.cn(需要重新注册)
如果需要转移工程请在个人中心 - 工程 - 工程高级设置 - 下载工程,下载后在https://lceda.cn/editor 打开保存即可。
有问题联系QQ 3001956291 不再提醒
svg-battery svg-battery-wifi svg-books svg-more svg-paste svg-pencil svg-plant svg-ruler svg-share svg-user svg-logo-cn svg-double-arrow -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus-@1x -mockplus-

Cookie Notice

Our website uses essential cookies to help us ensure that it is working as expected, and uses optional analytics cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. To find out more, read our Cookie Notice