You need to use EasyEDA editor to create some projects before publishing
Having trouble with color in custom 3D models
888 6
markdenies 1 year ago
Why are my custom 3D models showing up in a single color? I am using EasyEDA(Standard) 6.5.22.  I would like to create my own 3D models for my PCB design.  I have read several posts where others have loaded their own 3D models only to have them display in a single color. I was unable to get any of their solutions to work for me.  This is my first attempt at creating 3D models for EasyEDA -- I had no trouble creating Symbols and footprints.  This is my 5th design. To keep it as simple as possible, I have created a simple 3D design (two boxes) using FreeCAD, and exported it as a .wrl file.  Using EasyEDA/New/3D Model, I load the .wrl file into the 3D models library and see it in a single color: Importing the same file, BuckTest3.wrl into FreeCAD and EasyEDA I get the images shown in the two pictures at the end of this post.  Interestingly, in this test, the EasyEDA color is actually one of the face colors -- in all my other attempts it was black or white.  the screen shots follow. (I tried to insert the contents of the .wrl file in a codeblock, but it exceeded the 8000 character limit). I assume you will need that..I will send it to support...  Thanks in advance, Mark ![image.png](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/dCcPvG5KqcR1jXPtzzcwPq0OTOIaUcfEDP1YC5S3.png) FreeCAD screenshot![image.png](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/JlB60sQm9aiDECJfzm6nl6tY6m9rTHX8jQ9amzRa.png)  EasyEDA LIbrary popup window
Comments
MrToM 1 year ago
Hi Mark, I feel your pain. Sorry, I don't have a direct solution to your problem but... I do, now, have a working, almost bullet proof method for producing, (and more importantly importing into EasyEDA), 3D models. I tried FreeCAD too but I just couldn't get on with it. The final straw was finding out it had, at the time, a major flaw that needed a hack just to get it going. Thats when I ditched it. I now use [unfortunately web based but is actually very good] software called [onshape](https://www.onshape.com/en/). (I've just discovered EasyEDA actually suggest it...the very last line, buried away [HERE](https://docs.easyeda.com/en/PCBLib/PCB-3DLib-Import/index.html) ) Its a good, clean looking, program that considering it's free is overwhelmingly packed with all sorts of features, but most importantly everything you need for EasyEDA. It [onshape] will export to obj in a zip file which you can directly import into EasyEDA. It will also export .dxf files so you can also do your board outlines. There is plenty of [excellent] documentation for it, as well as video tutorials many from 'onshape' themselves. It's in constant update too with a really good forum. The people there really do seem to have done their homework. I know it means learning yet another program but if you managed to keep your sanity using freeCAD then learning onshape will be no trouble, its not that different except it works. Remember when importing into EasyEDA to allow for it's long running 10:1 scaling issue...models only import in meters [I read this somewhere but finding it again is, well...]. As long as you are aware of this you can just type one real dimension, (eg: 'x'), when creating, the other, ('y'), will, or should, be calculated correctly....or near enough anyway. It's important to remember this as it can appear that models fail to import, it not being visible in the tiny microscopic preview thumbnail image, but in reality it's just too small to display, by a factor of 10, really useful when creating components in the 01005 range...not. Anyway, at least give it a go, I think you'll like it...it works! Regards. MrToM.
markdenies 1 year ago
Thanks MrToM!.  I downloaded FreeCAD for the first time yesterday since I saw that it would create .wrl files.  My usual 3D package is Sketchup, but I've also tried Fusion360. I will try onshape tonight or tomorrow (I'll be working until this evening), but I've tried importing .obj files before without even getting a shape at all into EasyEDA.  I know EasyEDA requires me to put the obj file into a zip file, and import the zip file into EasyEDA, but doesn't it also need a .mtl file?  None of the other packages I've mentioned exported the .mtl file... Thanks again.  I'll post my results when I finish my try. Thanks again for your suggestion! Mark
MrToM 1 year ago
Hi Mark, Seriously you will not be dissapointed. No need to do ANYTHING to the files except import the zip. All this, except the EasyEDA pcb, is done in onshape... ![3D.jpg](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/xdr58jinJ4eJlJt9AIhtNhkaEesiaMXTgTPi6oiE.jpeg) <br> I too went through loads of programs and combinations until I found onshape, they really have got their act together. SO glad you didn't waste too much time with FreeCAD, just bin it and forget it....you don't need it. My only gripe with [the free] onshape is it's web based and your projects are open to all. (Not a big deal really) There is a paid version which allows 'private' projects if you prefer. If you get stuck just ask, I'll walk you through what I do. Regards. MrToM.
markdenies 1 year ago
MrToM:  I installed the onShape free version, listened to the first two tutorials, found out how to color faces, and exported the .obj file.  The learning curve was quick: about an hour to create a shape with 4 holes, and three rectangles, and color some of the faces.  Exported it as a .obj file, which, in fact created a .zip file with the .mtl and .obj file embedded in it!  The previous CAD programs didn't do this (create the .mtl file).  Imported it into EasyCAD, and got this part, which is exactly what I drew.  Thanks a lot! I'll need to learn a bit more about onShape to get exact positioning and learn the details of editing, but already the part has the correct size and the colors correct. Thanks for the tip, MrToM! Mark ![image.png](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/Fh1z0iRyOLIW3IJB6Lik1kj8EyquTbzoYzaiDi8Q.png)
MrToM 1 year ago
Hi Mark, Excellent! . Good to hear it worked for you, thanks for letting us know. . One thing I've done before is to create the model to it's correct size and then at the very end add a scale factor of 10. (Those 12mm standoffs I did are scaled to 120mm) When importing the size then works out to be correct without the need to type it in manually. I dunno if thats just a metric thing but as I said before somewhere I read that EasyEDA only imports in meters, anyway, sounds like you got over that hurdle so no worries. . Regards. MrToM.
Anton Kononov 9 months ago
@mrtom528 Hi MrToM! I'm really curious, how did you make such a design (3D picture, and connections??) in EasyEDA with two PCBs one above the the other? Is it combined from two projects? Best, Anton
Login or Register to add a comment
goToTop
你现在访问的是EasyEDA海外版,使用建立访问速度更快的国内版 https://lceda.cn(需要重新注册)
如果需要转移工程请在个人中心 - 工程 - 工程高级设置 - 下载工程,下载后在https://lceda.cn/editor 打开保存即可。
有问题联系QQ 3001956291 不再提醒
svg-battery svg-battery-wifi svg-books svg-more svg-paste svg-pencil svg-plant svg-ruler svg-share svg-user svg-logo-cn svg-double-arrow -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus-@1x -mockplus-

Cookie Notice

Our website uses essential cookies to help us ensure that it is working as expected, and uses optional analytics cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. To find out more, read our Cookie Notice