You need to use EasyEDA editor to create some projects before publishing
How to make different track widths for same net
1820 9
Tony Grudzinski 2 years ago
I can't figure out how to make different track widths starting from same place but to different components.  For example, a thin power track going to an led but a thick one going to a motor.  The board is very cramped and I need to save space.  I want to use the design rules so that means different nets but how to have different nets that are connected?  I know how to do this manually after routing is done but that is not OK as there are lots of manual tracks to change. So in the example circuit, how would I make the "thick track" say 48mil for the motor but thereafter the track for the LED only 8mil?  I tried using a single connector and using different netnames but it only shows up as a single net in the design rule?  Does anybody have suggestions for how to achieve this using the design rules for autorouting? [https://oshwlab.com/tonygrudzinski/example](https://oshwlab.com/tonygrudzinski/example)
Comments
andyfierman 2 years ago
It's not currently possible to use the Autorouter in the way you describe. It's also not currently possible to assign width properties to nets or to give a single net more than one net name in any way that would allow you to define one part of a net to be associated with one width and another, differently name part of the same net to associated with a different width. Your best option is to route the important or variable width tracks manually first then tell the Autorouter to ignore those tracks. Depending on your requirements, it may be better to manually route the board anyway and not rely on the autorouter to introduce lots of unintended SI and PI problems.
OK, thanks so much for your help.  I've only just moved from using Fritzing and am just a high school teacher so maybe thought that I was missing something? The best that I can think of as a solution is to use a single header like in the example but not connect that header to the power on the schematic so that I have two separate nets which I can define as different widths and then manually add a single track from the single header to the thick power net, then at least I'm only modifying one track manually rather than about 30 which is the case now. Yes, you are correct that I would be better to manually route everything, but this is the biggest board that I've ever done and its largely SMD and is very cramped and I don't have the skill set yet to do it manually.  I am prototyping an educational wifi robot based on esp32 and Arduino Nano and will probably pay someone to optimise (I'm Australian so we use Queen's English) the board once I've finished prototyping. Thanks again for your help, I greatly appreciate it. Cheers. Tony G.
Just incase anybody else is needing this, I figured out that using a 2 pin header as the "connector" between the thin and thick sections of the VCC and gnd tracks is all that is needed.  You just manually bridge the connector with a track after auto routing which obeys the thin and thick track requirements but all the other tracks are autorouted as I wanted. ![image.png](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/W0kIxL90W8z9LgKYm3NHjfsyn59K7EBLfjILWT77.png) ![image.png](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/YVurxjGWDaORg3FbvR0IqBCrauVA9kuUgu6w5vwW.png)
UserSupport 2 years ago
Hi Doesn't support this feature, you can change the track width while routing the track at SHIFT+W
andyfierman 2 years ago
@tonygrudzinski, It is bad practice to use a bridging track to connect across two pins on a header as you describe because it will generate a DRC error at the junctions. It's kind of OK as long as you remember what the DRC error refers to but on a complex board that is opening the door to connectivity errors. It is also risky because you are adding a net in to PCB that is not in the schematic so it may be ripped up whenever you do Update PCB... or Import Changes...
andyfierman 2 years ago
@tonygrudzinski, The subject of shorting links, split net names, net ties and variable width tracks has been discussed in a number of forum topics and as yet, there is no good solution available in EasyEDA.
Yes, thankyou for that feedback.  Either which way I'll have to do some things manually to get some of my vcc tracks 48mil and others much thinner.  Thanks for informing me of the pros and cons of each.  Cheers
andyfierman 2 years ago
There are a couple of ways to change the trace width on the fly during manual routing: [https://docs.easyeda.com/en/PCB/Route/index.html](https://docs.easyeda.com/en/PCB/Route/index.html)
mz68 6 months ago
I'm aware that this thread is very old but I found myself to solve the same problem and a "quick and dirty" solution was to add a 0 ohm resistor (or a single jumper, choice is yours...) between the two parts of the net having different width. This creates two separate but connected net names. I've really no time to manually design tracks and autoroute accepts well this solution. ![trick.png](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/Nj9u3awjcRvHNgKtKl3FphQtdvN43oGP15JjIY1I.png) In this case I had to bring power to a tiny sx1509 and the trick worked, of course don't forget to set the desired width for new net in "design rules" menu.... Hope this helps. Max
Login or Register to add a comment
goToTop
你现在访问的是EasyEDA海外版,使用建立访问速度更快的国内版 https://lceda.cn(需要重新注册)
如果需要转移工程请在个人中心 - 工程 - 工程高级设置 - 下载工程,下载后在https://lceda.cn/editor 打开保存即可。
有问题联系QQ 3001956291 不再提醒
svg-battery svg-battery-wifi svg-books svg-more svg-paste svg-pencil svg-plant svg-ruler svg-share svg-user svg-logo-cn svg-double-arrow -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus-@1x -mockplus-

Cookie Notice

Our website uses essential cookies to help us ensure that it is working as expected, and uses optional analytics cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. To find out more, read our Cookie Notice