You need to use EasyEDA editor to create some projects before publishing
Large traces to small or square pads. Not enough space problem
782 4
superkris 4 years ago
Hi! In the past i have designed PCB's at school, but that is now 15 years ago and a lot has changed. I choose EasyEDA for a new project that i need to design a PCB for. The schematics worked fine, and i even was able to create a few custom footprints. This project contains high power circuits up to 40A. If i use 8mm wide traces on both sides of the board with 4oz copper, i think it will be fine, but these wide traces are taking up to much space at the pins and i need a fix for this. \- The ultra large traces need to carry 40A at the least\, will run on both sides\, and need to me 8mm wide\. \- The medium traces need to carry currents of 15A \(20A would be preferred\) so 4mm traces on both sides are needed \- With a few exceptions most other traces will only need a few mA Please see the images below to see what problems i need to fix for my routing. A: This is a custom footprint that i made with square pads. Connecting these adds a lot of extra copper around the pads that i do not want. I need to pass some smaller traces between these. B: In this case the special pad size also adds a lot of useless copper C: Here the 2 pads are connected trough the additional copper. This is actually not a problem because these need to be connected anyway, but how can i prevent this? Hope you guys can help. Thanks in advance!![pcb pads.png](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/owbzF6xeOEr2U81vUB5QCHtVnFXOxJqMRseHC1b4.png)
Comments
UserSupport 4 years ago
Hi You can use Solid Region to connect the pads. ![图片.png](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/yJ0dhzDQ7kWfeqtCx6Y3BSKw2UfCiRawXHE5WBKM.png)
andyfierman 4 years ago
Make sure that you set the netname of the solid region to the same as the net connecting to it.
superkris 4 years ago
Thank you both! this works much better! I notice in some cases the copper areas are named automatically to the attaches pads, but in others this is not the case. Is there a specific reason why? Also i have some small additional questions about creating custom parts (PCBlibs) \- With the square dual pads in the drawing i have the solder mask lines touching the pad next to it\. Is this a problem? \- Currently im using 2 pads on boths sides\, but is there a better way to make a single pad with 2 holes? The need to be multilayer \- Drawing outlines and dimensions in a custom PCBlib is very complicated compared to other CAD software where you can just add dimensions\. Am i doing something wrong? ![pcb.jpg](//image.easyeda.com/pullimage/sNS9tfXdcBxOcNanaACOMb2dswyShqtvXJCUNd29.jpeg)
andyfierman 4 years ago
Other approaches to connecting wide tracks to narrow pads are; 1. to selectively  place narrow tracks from the pads to the wider tracks using short segments; 2. to place Copper Areas around the pads - with the appropriate netnames - to overlap onto the wider tracks and then select spokes or direct connection before rebuilding the copper areas. "- With the square dual pads in the drawing i have the solder mask lines touching the pad next to it. Is this a problem?" No, that's fine. "- Currently im using 2 pads on boths sides, but is there a better way to make a single pad with 2 holes? The need to be multilayer" Using 2 multi-layer pads with the same pad number is probably the easiest way to do it. "- Drawing outlines and dimensions in a custom PCBlib is very complicated compared to other CAD software where you can just add dimensions. Am i doing something wrong?" You can draw arbitrary lines and specify the start and stop xy points if that helps.
Login or Register to add a comment
goToTop
你现在访问的是EasyEDA海外版,使用建立访问速度更快的国内版 https://lceda.cn(需要重新注册)
如果需要转移工程请在个人中心 - 工程 - 工程高级设置 - 下载工程,下载后在https://lceda.cn/editor 打开保存即可。
有问题联系QQ 3001956291 不再提醒
svg-battery svg-battery-wifi svg-books svg-more svg-paste svg-pencil svg-plant svg-ruler svg-share svg-user svg-logo-cn svg-double-arrow -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus-@1x -mockplus-

Cookie Notice

Our website uses essential cookies to help us ensure that it is working as expected, and uses optional analytics cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. To find out more, read our Cookie Notice