You need to use EasyEDA editor to create some projects before publishing
Providing Power to Automotive Relays on PCB
2547 6
ClncyFshSlayer 7 years ago
I am currently creating a PCB that has 5 automotive relays incorporated in to it for use as a control board for auxiliary lighting in a truck. I need to be able to pull up to 30 amps through the relays, and that will not be possible using the traces on the board. I have tossed around a couple of ideas on how to overcome this issue, but have not decided on a solution yet. My current thought is to use either 16 gauge wire jumpered from pad to pad of the power input and output legs of the relay or use a pieces of custom cut copper sheeting that would act as the trace on the board. Any other thoughts on how to complete this task? The PCB I have designed is attached. ![Relay Control Board PCB-DRAFT][1] [1]: /editor/20161129/583c907f4faa5.png
Comments
andyfierman 7 years ago
EasyEDA can offer up to 3oz copper weight as standard. There are other fab houses that can do 6oz copper and there are other specilaists that can do much, much thicker copper. http://www.epectec.com/pcb/heavy-copper.html http://www.epectec.com/pcb/powerlink-technology.html http://circuit-technology.co.uk/technical/heavy-copper-pcb If this is still not enough for your requirements, it is worth contacting Support to see if EasyEDA has access to any of the newer PCB tech. If not, you can download the Gerbers from EasyEDA and send them off to whoever you wish to use. Otherwise, if you identify the relevant traces and ask Support for the traces to be exposed (no solder mask over them) on the PCB, then you can simply solder wire bus bars over the traces. The solution rather depends on the qualtities that you need to make the boards in.
Thank you for your help. I will contact Support when I have the boards printed and have certain traces on the rear of the board left exposed to be used as solder location so I can use the proper gauge wire to connect the necessary components. One other question. If a pad is set to all layers on the board, the top and bottom portions of the pad are connected, correct? I have some portions of the board where I have a component that connects to other components from both the top and bottom of the board, but I want to make sure the 2 locations are interconnected.
dillon 7 years ago
1. have certain traces on the rear of the board left exposed to be used as solder location so I can use the proper gauge wire to connect the necessary components. You can add solder mask above the traces, then the traces will be no oil. 2. pad is set to all layers on the board, the top and bottom portions of the pad are connected, correct. You are right.
How to I add a solder mask in the EasyEDA program?
andyfierman 7 years ago
@ClncyFshSlayer, * EasyEDA automatically generates the Solder Mask layer. Normally Solder Mask is applied to all of the traces except over an area about the same size as the pads. Therefore you do not need to do anything to have the Solder Mask generated over the traces. However, it would help if you add information to the `Document` layer to identify which traces you need to *not* have solder mask over them so that the copper is left exposed and ends up with the selected Surface Finish (ENIG/HASL etc) on them. You can draw traces on the document layer to illustrate the exposed sections of the traces and it might be useful to also identify the net names and the names of the nodes between which you do not want solder mask to be applied. * If I read your layout image correctly, if you put the high current tracks on the top layer, are you going to have room to solder on the additional copper wire under the relays? Would it be better to arrange all the high current layers to be on the bottom layer so that they are not obstructed by the components on the top layer?
Thanks for the input. I have relay PCB sockets that will be on the top side of the board, along with any other plugs and inputs that will be attached. The revised board (attached) has the areas on the bottom side that I will be soldering my wire "traces" to. I have marked it up with a photo editor program to help visualize where everything goes. The pink lines with arrows show where the wires will be connected. Any of the large blue traces that have a pink line going to or from are the ones that will not have the solder mask. ![Revised relay PCB][1] [1]: /editor/20161130/583ddc2d13a05.jpg
Login or Register to add a comment
goToTop
你现在访问的是EasyEDA海外版,使用建立访问速度更快的国内版 https://lceda.cn(需要重新注册)
如果需要转移工程请在个人中心 - 工程 - 工程高级设置 - 下载工程,下载后在https://lceda.cn/editor 打开保存即可。
有问题联系QQ 3001956291 不再提醒
svg-battery svg-battery-wifi svg-books svg-more svg-paste svg-pencil svg-plant svg-ruler svg-share svg-user svg-logo-cn svg-double-arrow -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus-@1x -mockplus-

Cookie Notice

Our website uses essential cookies to help us ensure that it is working as expected, and uses optional analytics cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. To find out more, read our Cookie Notice