You need to use EasyEDA editor to create some projects before publishing
exporting vias and multi-layer pads on the paste layer.
796 4
gonadgranny 5 years ago
Hi there. I am trying to make a solder mask and have been exporting the paste mask layer PDF as it creates a 'tighter' mask which means its easier to line up on the PCB after i print it out(i am fabricating my own PCB). is it possible to export the multi-layer pads and vias for the paste mask layer also? Or even better, is it possible to adjust the coverage which the solder mask layer has over the pads? thanks.
Comments
andyfierman 5 years ago
I am confused by your question and terminology. The **Solder Mask** is an insulating layer that is applied to the top and bottom layers of the PCB to cover the copper tracking and via annuli (but not cover the via holes) and to help prevent solder bridging between pads on footprints. The **Paste Mask** is used to mask off all except the PCB pads to which surface mount devices are to be mounted so that solder paste can be applied to them in a defined area and amount. Solder paste is not normally applied to vias unless they are being used in groups for high current and/or reducing thermal r distance for heat dissipation into one or more copper areas in the PCB. Through hole components are not reliably soldered by using solder paste so are normally assembled and soldered into the PCB as a separate process. The **Paste Mask** layer can also be used to generate a thin stainless steel **Stencil** which accurately aligned directly on top of the component side of the PCB and used like the screen in a screen printing process to quickly apply solder paste to a PCB. Two stencils are needed for double sided PCBs.
MikeDB 4 years ago
I don't think that's strictly true Andy.  PIH (Paste In Hole) is a well established process in industry, especially for large pin-out connectors, although I agree it's probably not something usually considered for home construction projects as this one appears to be,
andyfierman 4 years ago
Thanks for pointing that out Mike. I wasn't aware of that.
MikeDB 4 years ago
@andyfierman It became essential when we started to have to put surface mount components on the motherboards.  In the old days we used the press-fit connectors where you literally pushed the connector into the holes and the barbs both made the connection and held the connector tight. But if you then heat the board to solder the SMT components the connectors loosen a little.  Or if you solder the SMT components first then the forces involved in press-fitting the connectors often cracked the SMT components open. For a while we went back to wave soldering the connectors but you've always got the worry it will loosen (or even wash off) some SMT components, or if you do it first then soldering the SMT components could loosen the connectors.  So PIH became the preferred way.
Login or Register to add a comment
goToTop
你现在访问的是EasyEDA海外版,使用建立访问速度更快的国内版 https://lceda.cn(需要重新注册)
如果需要转移工程请在个人中心 - 工程 - 工程高级设置 - 下载工程,下载后在https://lceda.cn/editor 打开保存即可。
有问题联系QQ 3001956291 不再提醒
svg-battery svg-battery-wifi svg-books svg-more svg-paste svg-pencil svg-plant svg-ruler svg-share svg-user svg-logo-cn svg-double-arrow -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus- -mockplus-@1x -mockplus-

Cookie Notice

Our website uses essential cookies to help us ensure that it is working as expected, and uses optional analytics cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. To find out more, read our Cookie Notice